ENGAGE Jewish Service Corps
For Boomers and Beyond
"Our group is having quite an impact on the volunteering landscape in Westchester County," says Melissa Baer, JCC on the Hudson Engage Site Coordinator. "Our volunteers use their skills, expertise, passion and leadership to address Westchester issues such as poverty, hunger, education, helping the isolated elderly and those with special needs-- in a way that fits volunteers' schedules and lifestyle."
Collaborating with various agencies in Westchester County, Melissa matches volunteers with fulfilling one-time or continuing service opportunities. Volunteers bond with each other volunteers, and have the opportunity to participate in educational and fun events.
To volunteer, contact
Here is a partial list of ways our volunteers have been helping in the community:
- Kids Kloset in White Plains; sorting donated clothing, preparing outfits like a personal shopper
- Senior Canteen Visitor and Discussion Group Leader at Sinai Free Synagogue in Fleetwood
- Center Lane Chaperone in Yonkers; accompanying LGBTQ teens to special events, movies, parades, etc.
- Food Bank for Westchester in Elmsford; sorting and repacking donated food items
- Sunrise Day Camp for Children with cancer; singing, performing, running cookouts, etc.
- Keeping It Real In The Neighborhood in Tarrytown; mentoring special needs children & teens, life skills coaching
- Computer & IT support at WJCS in White Plains; installing apps, printer drivers, running updates, etc.
- Yonkers Office of the Aging; interviewing seniors at community center and writing short bios, taking simple portrait photos
- Child Abuse Prevention Center in White Plains; various opportunities in outreach, admin, fundraising, family aide
- My Sister's Place; running a collection for a back-to-school drive for children of victims of domestic abuse.
We are currently developing exciting new volunteering opportunities with military families and local hospital centers, as well as in the areas of emergency preparedness, literacy and advocacy.